Claiming for work related travel

The enterprise agreements covering employees in non government schools all have arrangements in place for the reimbursement of expenses incurred for work related travel.

You can claim for travel to off site training and accompanying students on out of school sports and activities.

These agreement provisions require the employer to pay for or reimburse reasonable expenses that are incurred where an employee in the course of their employment is required to travel to any place away from their usual place of work. This includes where the travel is undertaken in your own car.

The agreements set the rates that apply for the use of an employee’s own car – which may vary slightly between agreements and employers, and also for short or long trips.

The enterprise agreements allow for reimbursements of the costs you actually incur including; air, bus, train, tram and taxi fares, meals if overnight, and car hire expenses. Receipts will need to be provided.

Members often report they are advised that they should simply claim their work related travel expenses on their tax return.

This is a decision for the individual to make, not your principal. Under the agreements, you are entitled to be reimbursed by your employer. You should request and be provided with an expenses claim form and information on what expenses the employer deems reasonable and will cover prior to undertaking any work related travel.

Contact your IEU organiser should you have questions or concerns regarding your travel expenses.