The Branch Executive (Committee of Management) of the Independent Education Union of Australia New South Wales/Australian Capital Territory Branch presents its report for the year ended 31 December 2016.
Review of Principal Activities and Results
The principal activity of the Branch during the year was that of a branch of a registered union of employees. Those activities included, but were not limited to:
• The provision of services to members;
• The representation of members before Fair Work Australia on award matters and disputes; and
• The provision of support for the Federal Union agenda in education, equity and industrial issues.
The Branch’s principal activities resulted in:
• Maintenance and improvement of wages and conditions of employment for our members, especially those covered by collective bargaining agreements negotiated by our union;
• Growth of our solid membership base in New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory, demonstrating member satisfaction of the support and advice currently provided to them; and
There were no significant changes to the nature of the Branch’s activities during the year.
Significant Changes in Financial Affairs
As part of an operational change, all staff of New South Wales Independent Education Union were administratively transferred to the Branch effective 1 January 2016 and the Branch assumed responsibility for all expenses in relation to providing services to members and for collecting membership subscription revenue as from 1 July 2016. The New South Wales Independent Education Union would engage the Branch to provide staff support as and when required and subject to a service agreement.
The reporting unit continued to engage in its principal activities, the result of which are disclosed in the attached financial statements. It is anticipated that the ensuring year operating will remain the same.
Right of Members to Resign
In accordance with Rule 21 of the Independent Education Union of Australia, a member may resign from membership by written notice addressed and delivered to the Branch Secretary.
Officers and Employees who are Superannuation Fund Trustees or are Directors of a Company that is a Superannuation Fund Trustee are:
John Quessy Branch Secretary NGS Super (Alternate Director)
Gloria Taylor Branch Deputy Secretary NGS Super (Director)
Chris Wilkinson President NGS Super (Director)
The criterion for being a trustee or director is that officer or employee is an officer or employee of the organisation
Number of Members
The number of members recorded at the end of the financial year was 31,950.
Number of Employees
The number of employees (on a full time equivalent basis) at the end of the financial year was 71.
Names of Committee of Management Members and the Periods Held During the Financial Year
The committee members have been in office since the start of the reporting period unless otherwise stated.