The IEU’s Women and Equity forums feature members and guest speakers who discuss ways of confronting political and industrial problems and making gains for women. Here are just a few reasons the IEU convenes them, provided by the IEU Organiser Pam Smith:
• the gender pay gap is still greater than 14 per cent
• women’s super at retirement is on average just 40 per cent of men’s
• sexual harassment and discrimination at work persist
• women still carry a disproportionate share of caring responsibilities (children, ageing parents) and this impacts income and super
• women and men are held to different standards in the recruitment process
• evidence shows women are less likely to be hired into senior positions and they are overlooked for promotions
• women are looked upon unfavourably when they try to negotiate a better salary.