Thinking about a teacher exchange in 2021?

Exchanges are so much more rewarding than simple vacations. An exchange enables you to experience another education system and another way of life.

Applications for exchange positions for 2021 are now open. Teacher exchange positions will be available in all provinces in Canada, Colorado in the US (and other states by negotiation and the Colorado exchange authority can assist with visa sponsorship), and the UK (also by negotiation).


To be eligible for the one year exchanges, you should have a minimum of five years teaching experience at the time of exchange (although this is negotiable in some provinces in Canada). An exchange is the direct swap of the teacher’s positions and must include either an exchange of accommodation or other agreed arrangements.

You are paid by your home employer and you must return to your own teaching position at the end of the exchange period, although exchanges have been extended for a second year where both teachers and employers agree. The year away on exchange is counted as a year of service and your conditions remain the same. Your spouse/partner may apply for a work permit and be paid in the local currency. Your children may attend Catholic or public schools (there are no school fees).

School year

Most exchanges are January to December (our school year) but some Boards in Canada will only permit a Canadian school year. These are becoming popular and are supported by our principals.

Finding your own exchange partner to a particular type of school ie Christian or independent school in Canada and the UK is also an option. You will still need to apply through the IEU and your exchange partner through the overseas exchange coordinators as we are all sponsors for visa purposes.

Call Helen Gregory on 8202 8900 or 1800 467 943 for more details. An application form can be downloaded from or You could also send a one page ‘expression of interest’ to